Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Simple and effective



"Simple and effective" - That's the name of the game! It's easy to over think this training stuff. I have exhausted many different methods and modalities in my time as an athlete and coach. I am constantly reminded of how simple and effective certain body weight exercises can be!

Here is a great movement that I like to use with my clients (Heels To Glutes Push-Up). It can be programed into your warm up or used as a stand alone exercise. The HTG Push Up is great for building pelvic stability and upper body strength while challenging ones coordination. You do not need a half roll, but if you experience pain in your wrist with push ups, you can change the angle of your wrist slightly. I find this modification especially helpful for females that can not do traditional push ups because of wrist pain.

Give it a try! Once you own the skill, try the HTG Push Up at 3 speeds - slow, medium, fast. The coordination can be quite humbling. Enjoy.

No comments: